BatesLine blogroll headlines
Latest headlines from blogs of interest, powered by Google Reader.
Visit the BatesLine Op-Ed Page for today's batch of columns from TownHall, National Review, American Spectator, and the Wall Street Journal.
For headlines from Tulsa blogs only, visit the BatesLine Tulsa headlines page.
For latest from a selection of Oklahoma blogs, visit the BatesLine Oklahoma headlines page.
In the spotlight
BatesLine coverage of
on the April 5, 2016, ballot
- Vision Tulsa printable "cheat-sheet"
- Ballot resolutions and spending ordinances
- City and county sales tax timeline
- Vision Tulsa squeezes out "Third Penny" for streets
- Fisheries biologist warns of dam's effect on fish and fishing
- Many cities removing low-water dams as safety hazards
- Suburban sales tax propositions
- Links to submitted proposals and presentations
- Air National Guard Simulator Building
- BMX National Headquarters
Eighteen images by photographer Colin O'Brien of "last days" in London -- the last day of London's double-decker trams, the last days of Covent Garden as a produce market, a pie stall on the porch of a graffiti-besmeared St. Paul's Covent Garden, the last day of business for a Woolworths, the last photos of a cafe owner, the last run of a Routemaster bus, the horse and cart of one of the last rag-and-bone men in Hackney -- documenting the slow passing of pre-war London. If you enjoy '50s British radio comedy, you'll find some pictures here to help you see what you're hearing.
On his 90th birthday, in 2005, Don Albers interviewed the legendary Tulsa-born-and-raised polymath.
Shows the current time in seconds since the Unix epoch (0000 GMT 1970/01/01). Converts a given timestamp to human-readable time and vice versa. Unfortunately doesn't handle hexadecimals.
James Dobson, Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell Jr., Mike Huckabee all kneel before Zod.
MORE: Steve Deace explains why Franklin Graham is wrong to equate Donald Trump to flawed heroes of the Bible.
Maps by region and voting district showing the outcome of the "Brexit" referendum.
Jesus advised us not to cast our pearls before swine. This Sufi philosopher expands on the idea, distinguishing between questioners who would not profit from an answer (those asking from envy, the sophomoric who don't know how much they don't know, and those who haven't the ability to process what you tell them) on the one hand, and this sort of questioner on the other:
"But the sickness which is curable is that of the intelligent and understanding seeker of guidance, who is not overcome with envy and anger and the love of worldly vanities and wealth and honor, but is seeking the straight road; and his questions and objections do not arise from envy and a desire to cause trouble and to make trial. And he is curable, and it is permitted to attempt to answer him--nay, it is necessary."
On top of a generous minimum wage, the Australian government mandates "penalty wage rates" -- bonus wages for working after 10 p.m. or on weekends or public holidays. The result: Few restaurants are open late, and many small cafes stay open only as long as the owner can stand to be there, because he can't afford to hire a second shift of workers. The link leads to a discussion by restaurant owners about the impact on their businesses.
Shows the detailed location of oil and gas pipelines.
An attempt to collect all info about parcel ownership and value in the USA into one consistent, publicly accessible database.
BatesLine Linkblog archives
- Global News
- Oral Roberts University
- Arkansas River
- Tulsa Election 2013
- Tulsa Election 2014
- Tulsa Election 2016
- Tulsa Vision2
- Tulsa World
- Tulsa suburbs
- Tulsa::Election 2011
- Tulsa::Election 2012
- Urban Tulsa Weekly
- Tulsa Election 2009
- 2016 Oklahoma Republican runoff endorsements
- Oklahoma primary and runoff historical analysis
- Mozart Symphony No. 40, with a Lebanese twist
- The Man Who Was Thursday, read by Geoffrey Palmer
- SD 25: Lisa Kramer dodges debate, backed by Chambers, unions, dark money PAC
- SD 39: NRA backs Amanda Teegarden; State Chamber backs Dave Rader
- Budget-busting Vision Tulsa: "We should have thought through better"
- Jim Bridenstine endorses Amanda Teegarden, Joe Newhouse in state senate runoffs
- Jack Davis and Marni Nixon, RIP
- National Youth Orchestra of the USA tonight at Carnegie Hall